Valentine's Day is upon us and it can seem a little daunting to get in the loving spirit, especially if one watches the news. While there's nothing wrong with picking up a nice bottle to share with friends or lovers, we think mixing a few love potions at home might be just the thing to elevate the holiday beyond the greeting card doldrums. We’ve got three unique, easy to brew Valentine's Day cocktails to bring everyone a little *ahem* closer together. And who couldn't use a little extra lovin’ these days?
How to Mend a Broken Heart
We love this drink because it feels way more decadent than it actually is. Simplicity is key when making memorable cocktails and this easy breezy gin cocktail is just the ticket. A beautiful deep red in the glass with impressive aromatics and just a little bit of funk, this cocktail will transport you to lazy summer days.
- 2oz St. George ‘Botanivore’ Gin, chosen for its brilliant botanicals and clean finish.
- ½ oz of fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz of hibiscus syrup (see directions)
- Pilot Pomegranate Rose Kombucha, as needed
- For the hibiscus syrup (makes about ½ quart), bring about ½ quart of water to a boil. Add three bags of hibiscus tea or two tablespoons of loose tea and brew for about three minutes away from the heat. Dissolve about 1 cup of sugar in the freshly brewed tea. Stir until well combined. Keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
- In a cocktail shaker with fresh ice add gin, lemon juice and hibiscus syrup, shake for about 15 seconds. Strain into a collins glass with fresh ice and top off with kombucha to your desired level.
Pamp(lemousse) and Circumstance
This is a super fun cocktail to make and even more fun to drink. Fresh and energizing this drink will get you giddy and full of those puppy love feelings!
- 1½ oz of Oro de Lidia Reposado Tequila
- 1 oz of Giffard Pamplemousse Liqueur
- 1 oz agave syrup
- ½ oz fresh lemon juice
- Rose water, as needed
- King’s Highway ‘Beach Party’ Rosé Cider
- Add the tequila, liqueur, agave and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well, for about 30 seconds, then strain into a Collins glass and top with the rosé cider.
- Add 2-3 drops of rose water and stir lightly.
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit. If you’re feeling extra sweet, coat in sugar for an extra sweet treat.
Love Potion No 9
This cocktail is also the perfect mocktail, just leave out the rum. A super simple punch recipe that exudes complex fruit and spice notes, perfect to heat things up a little without being too forward.
- ½ cup of white sugar
- ½ cup of water
- 5 whole cloves
- Freshly cut ginger
- 2 star anise pods
- 4 cups tart cherry juice
- 1 cup Denizen White Rum
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in your ginger, star anise, and cloves. Reduce the heat to a simmer and watch until the sugar dissolves, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Strain the mixture into a pitcher and add the cherry juice and white rum, if using. Ladle into rocks glass with fresh ice and garnish with a cinnamon stick.